In this article, Half Cooked will review both networks in detail and help you find if either network is the best choice for you. We will also compare them with their rival networks including giffgaff, VOXI and SMARTY, although one could say they are rivals to iD Mobile rather than Sky Mobile. Both networks come with quite the different perks. We’ll compare their available price plans, network coverage, speeds and all the other key features they offer to their customers.
Latest Offer: 100GB Data for the Price of 50GB!
For a limited time only, iD Mobile is offering 100GB of data for the price of 50GB! Don’t miss this great offer, it will end soon!
Who is iD Mobile?
- Competitive prices.
- One-off data boost that’s valid for 3 years.
- Offers a data rollover option.
- Wi-Fi Callling & 4G Calling support.
- Doesn’t support 5G yet.
- No entertainment packages or such.
- No family/friends plan options.
Who is Sky Mobile
- Supports 5G in all SIM Only plans.
- Offers the best data rollover feature, you can save rolled over data up to 3 years.
- If you are also a Sky TV member you may use Sky TV apps without consuming data.
- Even the best plan offers limited data (20GB Max).
- Reward system is loyalty based.
- No short term contracts.
Table of Contents
Network Coverage & Speeds
iD Mobile is a virtual network and its piggybacking on the Three network for 3G and 4G coverage. This means iD Mobile users get the very same coverage with Three users. Meanwhile Sky Mobile is powered by O2, meaning Sky users and O2 users experience and enjoy the same coverage.
Voice Call Quality
As long as you are in populated areas, towns and cities, neither network will let you down. However, iD Mobile thrives here, especially indoors as it supports 4G calling. 4G Calling (4G Super-Voice or VoLTE) means you get to make and receive phone calls over a network’s 4G connection. Your mobile device won’t fallback to 2G or 3G during calls, thus you’ll experience a much better call quality and indoor coverage. Of course, for this feature to work you must have a compatible mobile device. Thankfully iD Mobile’s 4G Calling supports pretty much all the new generation mobile phones. You can check if your device supports 4G Calling feature on iD Mobile’s official website.
Tethering or using your mobile phone as a personal hotspot means sharing your smartphone’s internet connection with other compatible devices such as your laptop, your tablet or other smartphones. Most networks used to draw a strict line when it came to tethering as it could lead up to clog ups, but almost all of them are more lenient now.
The current EU roaming regulations allow you to use your data, calls and texts in the European Union destinations for no extra charge. iD Mobile lets you roam like at home in 50 different destinations throughout the EU, EEA and in some other countries. You can visit iD Mobile’s international roaming page for more information.
Wi-Fi Calling & Wi-Fi Hotspots
Wi-Fi calling allows you to make and receive high definition voice calls, using a high speed internet connection over a Wi-Fi network. Basically you use a Wi-Fi connection instead of your provider’s network.
Some networks allow their customers to take any unused data from one month and use it the next month or in Sky Mobile’s case up to three years. iD Mobile allows data rollover too, but in a more classic manner.
Sky Mobile has a family plan in which you can have up to 5 plans in one Sky Mobile account. Unfortunately this option doesn’t bring any discounts, but as we stated above, rolled over data can be shared between family members and it’s a great perk! All the available unused data can be transferred between family accounts using the Sky Piggybank.
Other Perks & Customer Rewards
There are no customer rewards for being on iD Mobile, nor any other outside the box advantages to it. Being a lower cost MVNO, to remain competitive at their price point iD Mobile must opt out of this type of special deals.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I keep my number if I switch networks?
- Yes you can. It’s a simple procedure. All you need is a PAC code (porting authorisation code) from your current mobile telephone network operator. PAC code will allow you to transfer (port) your current mobile phone number to Sky Mobile or iD Mobile. Once you have your PAC number click on the carrier name you want to switch to and follow their guidelines.
Which mobile network does SKY use?
- Sky Mobile uses O2’s network, their customers get the same network coverage and speeds with O2 customers.
Which mobile network does iD Mobile use?
- iD Mobile uses Three’s network power. Their customers get the same network coverage and speeds for 3G and 4G, but as of yet no 5G on the horizon.
Does iD Mobile support 5G?
- Unfortunately, no. At the moment iD Mobile is sticking to 3G and 4G coverage and speeds.
Does Sky Mobile have 5G?
- Yes it does. It’s exclusive to Sky VIP members.
What is Sky VIP? How do I join Sky VIP?
- Sky VIP is their loyalty programme and it’s open to all Sky Mobile members. To join, you must download the My Sky app, log in with your Sky ID and tap the Sky VIP button. Sky VIP is free.
Does Sky Mobile have Wi-Fi calling?
- Yes, Sky Mobile has Wi-Fi calling, but only limited 4G Calling (VolTe).
Does iD Mobile have Wi-Fi calling?
- Yes, iD Mobile has Wi-Fi calling and it also supports 4G calling. As long as your mobile device supports it you can use both features.
It’s a tight race between the two network operators, really hard to call a distinct winner, therefore we think it’s a tie between the two network providers. iD comes with a great variety of plans and they are budget friendly. Sky Mobile has 5G and also 2G,iD Mobile doesn’t support either. If you need a cheap, reliable provider then iD is the way to go. If you don’t mind limited data, and can benefit from 5G then Sky is the right choice for you.